Sunday, January 4, 2009

Happy New Year!

You'd think with all the time I've spent at home in the last three weeks that I would have posted more on my blog...For the first time, I don't wish Christmas had lasted longer. I took my time wrapping, baking, decorating, savoring the season. It was relaxing, fun and complete. My only regret is the postponed annual girls' Christmas tea and overnight at the Heathman in downtown Portland. It won't be quite the same in February, but it will have to do. The girls and I did get dressed up and have a little tea party of our own while the snowflakes fell silently outside our windows. I enjoyed many extra hours at Mes Amies, too. December is fun there. Men walk in, completely out of their element, and gladly accept coffee, gift suggestions and wrapping. Often I know their wives so it's fun to choose things for them and know what they're getting under the tree! For sure, there's no dressing rooms to clean or "Does this make my butt look big?". It's a whole different game, and I enjoy the challenge. Of course extra hours there mean Christmas gifts to me from me, too. Woo hoo!

Here are some highlights of 2008:
Mary and Laura turned 6 and finished kindergarten
Easter and spring break in San Francisco
Diana turned 8 and finished second grade
Mom and Dad took Diana to Spain for 10 days
Two weeks with my family in my beloved (and rainy!)Scotland
Debbie coming home with us
selling the duplex
An awesome weekend in Seattle
starting year 18 in sixth grade core!
the first days of first and third grades
many, many visits from the tooth fairy
taking on new challenges at Linfield supervising student teachers and preparing to teach a course spring semester
a very happy Halloween with the Eitzens
Thanksgiving in Roseburg with my aunt and grandpa in Roseburg for the first time in years
no trips to the emergency room!
no more training wheels
8 year old insomnia
soccer, soccer, and more soccer, ballet and piano lessons
special afternoons with just James and Abby
a long, restful and snowy Christmas season followed by New Year's at the Beach House, a perfect way to start a new year

We're already planning the adventures and awaiting the surprises 2009 has in store for us. Disneyland and American Girl Place in April. Debbie's visit in June and July (you can't back out now, D!). Turning 7, 9, 44 and 40! Kendra and Felipe's wedding. And DC/NYC in November. In between, we'll be dancing, playing soccer, playing Webkinz, reading, laughing and growing. I know the craziness of life is about to begin again, but we're ready for it. Welcome, 2009!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!! You will have to stop by in November...we are right between DC and NYC!! :)