Saturday, January 17, 2009

It!

Let's see. Seven little known and interesting facts about me. Hmmm. I can come up with little known, but interesting might be hard. You be the judge.

1. I hate country music. A lot.
2. My least favorite part of teaching is scoring writing tasks.
3. I have never broken a bone.
4. I used to be a tiny bit (or really a lot) obsessed with Princess Diana. I was 11, 12, 13. She was beautiful and a real princess. Somewhere in the garage are a couple big rubber maid tubs full of scrapbooks (I cut out every article I found), and other memoriablia I collected. My mom took me and my best friend in Scotland out of school for a day, and we went by train to Edinburgh to see her wedding dress (there are really no words to describe it!)and gifts (the huge green bowl from the Reagans was hideous!) in a traveling exhibit. My parents also took me to see Holyrood House were she was living with Prince Charles about a year after they married. Two figures were walking among the trees in the distance on the grounds (we could only look from the sidewalk). I still tell myself it was them. And, no, my Diana is not named after her. It's just a beautiful name.
5. I was at mass performed by Pope John Paul II. Not Catholic, but still cool.
6. I pulled dry belt in a plywood mill one summer. It was the worst job of my life. I was supposed to grade, sort and stack sheets of veneer (you know the thin layers that make up a sheet of plywood)as they came out of the drier. It was probably 125 degrees in there (that's not an exaggeration!) and I would drink an entire gallon of water in between breaks. I would soak my t-shirt in cold water on my break and wear it back to work. About every two weeks I would wear holes in my leather work gloves and have to buy new ones. I had steel toed boots. Needless to say, I was terrible at it. And, do you know how to grade veneer? You judge the knot holes in comparison to a can of chew. Good thing the guy on the line in front of me had a perfect faded ring from his can in the back pocket of his Levis!
7. My pinkies are bent weird. They curve inward. Mom says it's the first thing she noticed about me after I was born. No one else in our family has them, so we have no idea where they came from. They're just weird.

No comments: