Saturday, December 6, 2008

Traditions

Today was a day of traditions. Dad and I met for our annual Christmas shopping day. We've been doing it for as long as I can remember. It started as lunch out (which was a huge deal) and getting Mom's present in Medford when I was about four. I clearly recall eating at a really cool pirate themed restaurant. It was called Captain Kidd's or something like that. They gave chocolate gold coins to me after I ate, had pirate coloring pages, and there were salt water tanks full of beautiful colored tropical fish. I looked forward to that all year. Now, our annual Christmas shopping day takes a lot longer. We've got to drive awhile to meet, and our list is significantly longer than one. Today we found our favorite lunch place in Salem had gone out of business, but we still managed. I love it just as much as I did when I was four.

When I pulled into the driveway just after 4:00, my little family was waiting for me in the driveway, boots, hats, coats and mittens alreay on. I hopped in the truck and we headed up the hill to our favorite Christmas tree farm. It was getting dark, but the girls would not go for a precut tree. Diana insisted on the tradition of hiking out in the muck to find the perfect tree. I mean trees. We a need really big one for the living room and a slightly smaller one for the family room. That's the kids' tree. Years worth of beautiful construction paper and cotton ball ornaments have a home there. They get lovingly moved around their special tree all month long. Mine (the grown up tree) is for looking "with your eyes only" (got that, Abby?) and makes me so happy with its winter/snow theme in white and silver. The girls helped me hang garland on the stairs and put the Williamsburg carolers on the mantel. We danced and sang carols and put a really cheesy Christmas movie on. It feels like Christmas time now. Two traditions down; lots more to go. I can't wait.

 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Paige Lomas said...

You are such a blog-teaser! You mentioned a restaurant, a movie, a tree farm with NO NAMES! Just kidding...sounds like you all had a great time. We too did the decorations and tree trimming today. Love it!

Kendra said...

Sounds like such a fabulous December day! I love your traditions- I think it is so neat that you and your dad still meet to go shopping and the Christmas decorating with the family and girls is priceless! Can't wait to see you soon! xoxox

Sarri said...

What a fun time of year. I love hearing about your traditions!