Tuesday, November 4, 2008

History!

All afternoon I racked my brain for someting to post tonight. Eventually I decided there was nothing noteworthy to record. About an hour ago, however, I realized I was very wrong. The girls, Steve, and I had been checking the map of the United States online for all evening. We watched carefully and excitedly as grey states turned to red and blue. Diana and I sat down just after 8:00 with bowls of chocolate ice cream and looked again. I was amazed by my reaction when I saw that 333 electoral votes had ended two years of campaigns and questions about our country's future: I got teary. For the first time in my life, we have a president of my generation. We have an intelligent, vibrant, dynamic, young father to whom I can relate as the new leader of our country. Race played no part in the decision for me. Age did. I didn't realize how strongly I felt about the election until it was over. I am hopeful. How can we expect one man to create world peace, fix the economy, end global warming? Somehow tonight it seems possible. Tomorrow, next week, next month, or next year when the rush of patriotism wanes, reality will settle in. Tonight, though, I'm so proud of my country.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for partially capturing what I am feeling. I appreciate that Obama is a parent of young kids as well, who hopes to make this world a better place for them.

I went to sleep at 10:30pm (EST) not knowing but guessing who would be the next president. Then I woke up at 1am and decided to check again. Wow. Then I got up 1/2 hour before my alarm went off because I'm "excited" and there is kind of a buzz in the air. It is amazing to see the hope in the faces of these people (I'm watching the acceptance speech online). I only hope that we can ride this wave and fix this country. History in the making!

Paige Lomas said...

You got me all teary eyed. What a great post. Thanks for bringing it all together!

scottishval said...

So glad you feel like this. Lots of folk here do too. Apparently he's got Scottish ancestors; one more good thing about him!