Thursday, May 7, 2009

One of those days...

Ever have one of those days? I had one yesterday. It started about 7:45 with the van's alarm inexplicably honking for 20 minutes or so at Allison's house. After rushing the kids to school (late; our first ever tardy slips!) in her not-honking van, getting totally drenched and just barely making it to my classroom before school started, I thought it couldn't get much worse. Fast forward to about 12:42. I'm supposed to be in the gym at Linfield observing one of my student's PE lessons. The only parking is about 9 miles away. Drenching number two. I'm walking as fast as I can down Linfield Avenue. You know those metal bumpy square manhole covers? They're textured so they're not slippery when wet. Well, they don't work. You know what a hurdler looks like when they clear the hurdle? One leg stretched out, the other bent back and under? Imagine me doing a beautiful triple axle on the wet metal textured manhole cover, then ending up on it like a hurdler: right leg stretched out in front, left bent back and under. Hi, man in little red truck! Thanks for slowing down to see if I'm okay. I am, just feeling really stupid. Anyone around with a camera? No? Crap. I'm sure that could have won $10,000 on American's Funniest Home Videos. Second place at least...So I pick myself up and continue rushing into the gym, pretending that little stunt never happened. Okay, so how am I going to explain my really wet butt and soaked left pantleg to my students? Plan A: just admit it. Plan B: sit on the floor against the wall with my legs crossed and clipboard in my lap. Sneaking into the gym, I opt for Plan B. I smoothly remove my jacket and use it as shield while I get myself settled on the floor. At least I'm not in charge today. As I observe the lesson (well planned and delivered, I might add) I get a chance to inspect the damage, discreetly of course. Left knee: red and sore, big bruise on the way. Right shoulder and left "sit bone" (Hi, CB!) sore from absorbing impact making sitting on the gym floor more than slightly uncomfortable. Left foot: two bloody cuts. Cool. I have no idea what I cut myself on, but it doesn't matter. At least I've got some bleeding to show for my acrobatics! And the worst of it? A hole in the left knee of my new pants! Only wore them once before. Damn. And today? Still sore and still feeling stupid, but at least I can laugh at myself about it, right?

1 comment:

scottishval said...

A+ for description, Teresa! Sorry, I had to smile.