Thursday, August 7, 2008

I'm it!

Our summer adventures are over, and I'm looking forward to a couple of weeks of doing nothing. I'll be ready for school and the old routine by then. Not being much of a runner, I always hated tag, but here goes...

20 years ago...I was just beginning my semester in Paris with my dear friend Susan. Those six months mark probably the most growth of my life. My confidence, independence, sense of adventure, and love of travel (not to mention my French)really improved during that half year. I remember living in the foyer, my French family, riding public transit everyday, laughing a lot and loving city life.

10 years ago... I can't remember a thing! Steve and I had been married for almost four years, and I was in a black hole of infertility. I think that summer Steve and I had an amazing week in Hawaii, but I could be wrong...

5 years ago...Mary and Laura were 17 months old and Diana was 3. We were changing up to 30 diapers a day and buying baby food in bulk. Most of the summer was spent in the backyard kiddie pool eating popsicles and pouring water from one container to the next. Remember that phase?






3 years ago...We were still sticking pretty close to home with so many little girls. We were planning a surprise trip to Disneyland with them the next January as our first big trip together. Diana was getting ready to start kindergarten, and Mary and Laura were so excited to start "school" at Bear Hugs. I could hardly wait for "my littlest girl" to get here (even though she messed with the balance of things by being female!).

So far this year... We have traveled from the Golden Gate Bridge to the Space Needle. We have finished kindergarden forever and sent Diana to Spain with my parents. We have petted reindeer and eaten haggis in Scotland. We are healthy and happy. We have sold the duplex and survived dance and piano recitals, horse camp, soccer and swimming lessons.

Yesterday...We drove home from a great time in Seattle. It was a super long car ride, but the weather was great. We took Debbie to her first Mexican food at Mazatlan. She loved it!

Tomorrow... We will take Debbie to the airport for her morning flight back to Scotland. We will eat breakfast with my parents after that at the Cameo (ever had their coconut pancakes? yum!) Laura will go home with them to Roseburg for her first overnighter alone!

In the next year...We will go to Disneyland for the long awaited playgroup trip. I hope to feed my family healthier, more locally grown foods and recycle more. The girls can't wait to be flower girls in Kendra's wedding next July. (In Oregon for sure. In Brazil? Maybe!)And, I hope to get on a plane with just my husband for some r&r in a sunny, quiet place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this! Thanks for posting it.
As Sarri and I recently agreed, it's great to be back "in touch" via our blogs!

Kendra said...

Love the reflection- it would be interesting to all do that...five years ago...ten years ago...etc. Any new thoughts on Brazil July 2009 wedding? :)