Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Big Question

Okay, so I thought I was ready for it. I had the speech all prepared in my head. When Diana asked it this afternoon, I froze. Good thing I was driving so they couldn't see me a)giggle b)cringe c) blush. It went something like this:

Diana: Mom, when you have a baby do you have to show your marriage license?
Me: Uh, no. (Oh, crap)
Diana: How come?
Me: You don't have to be married to have a baby.
Diana: Oh. So how do you get a baby in your tummy?
(Mary and Laura are sitting in the middle seats taking this all in in total silence)
Me: (Crap, crap, crap) Well, it takes a man and a woman.
Diana: So a woman and a woman can't make a baby.
Me: Right.
Diana: So a man and a man can't make a baby.
Me: Right. A man and a woman each have a part to start a baby. When the two parts come together the baby starts to grow.
Diana: So they do stuff to get the two parts together?
Me: Yes, exactly. (How I managed to answer without bursting out laughing, I don't know)
Diana: Like exercises?
Me: (laughing in reality now) Yeah, kind of. (You could call it that, right?)
Diana: Is it hard or easy?
Me: (seriously, how long will this go on?)It's hard for some people and easy for some people.
Diana: Was it hard for you?
Me: Yes.
Diana: Oh.

God only knows what they've got in their little brains about conception now! Good thing there's 8th grade health!

5 comments:

Sarri said...

Oh my! Tough stuff. Good job though. Thank goodness for car conversations though!

Michelle said...

Wow, you handled that like a pro! She has some DEEP questions re. this! I remember that conversation with Courtney, only we weren't lucky enough to be in the car. It was at the dinner table and I thought Tom was going to get sick right there at the table! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! You did awesome!! I can only hope I retain my composure when that dreaded moment arrives. You did all us moms proud!

Paige Lomas said...

wow, I am also so impressed. As I am reading your blog I am cracking up...the double entendre for "hard" was about going to make my baby come out. CJ has asked some serious questions about baby Zac and I am so vague I am sure he is going to have some seriouls issues/questions when he hits 8th grade.

Judy said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so not ready to answer those kinds of questions!!!