Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Love That Girl

Mary finished Love That Dog, a novel by Sharon Creech, a few minutes ago. She came running in to tell me about how the boy in the story's yellow lab gets hit by a car. His dad carries the dog onto the grass, and the boy is there when "the dog closes his eyes for the last time." Mary was sad. Who wouldn't be with an ending like that?




Writing homework tonight was "free write", Mary's personal favorite. So: "I know, Mom! I'll write a poem about Ginger!" This is what she wrote:


 
I still miss Ginger every day, but I haven't cried about her in a long time. Tonight I did. Just a little.

3 comments:

CB said...

Very sweet!

(Zac keeps a photo of Lucy in his cubby...)

Anonymous said...

So sweet.
Every year I wonder if this will be Zoe's last Christmas. Stubborn (and sweet) old dog is still kicking though.

Paige Lomas said...

I remember that day and it was tough day for us all. This year I have another student who had to say goodbye to their dog. Super sad. I wonder how much our dog is going to hold out...Zac calls her, "My puppy". Our family dog is 14 years old. Not a puppy by far. She is an amazing writer!