Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Not So Plain White Tees

Lately the kids have been obsessed with Super Mario Brothers on the Wii. They get one hour to play after school every afternoon. And I don't use the word obssessed lightly either. The oldest five each have some specific character they always play, and when it's not their turn, they happily cheer each other on. It gets pretty loud and rowdy in the living room, but I love how they have to rely on each other in the game. It really forces them to cooperate and problem solve.That's stretch I know, but I'm trying to find one or two redeeming qualities in a video game. You should hear the cheers when they accomplish a goal! The sense of accomplishment and teamwork is amazing!

For the last couple of weeks, they've been planning t-shirts to wear while they play. They came up with some really clever ideas including nicknames and appropriate phrases for each or them. So, of course, I sprang for the t-shirts at Walmart. Josh already had the fabric markers. This afternoon was blissfully free of piano, dance and baseball so we finally got to work. It was really fun! I can't remember the last time we did a project together, all seven of us. They put a lot of thought and effort into their shirts, and they are so proud of the results. Each kid planned on paper what they wanted on the front of their shirt, then they did the writing and drawing for each other. They turned out so cute, and the kids are so proud of them!

Some of my favorites that you might not be able to see in the photos:

Abby's says, "Can I play?" and "Laura loves you!"
Josh's: "I eat enemies for breakfast"
Laura's: "ABBBBBBY" (Abby signed it herself)and "I bubble for fun"
Diana's: "I laugh in the face of Mario"
Mary's: "Got yellow?" (she's the yellow toad)
James drew the cutest green toadstool!

And on the back of the Team Mario jerseys? "Eitzenney" across the shoulders. It's what Allison and I call the collective group of them. As in, "Eitzenneys, get in the van. It's time to go!" Below that, they all signed each others'. Too cute! Love, love, love these kiddos!

(You can click on the square at the bottom right of the video to watch it full screen)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fun project and what a cool video!!
T had a Super Mario bday party here. I had fun making the green or red hats with a single initial on it! We made 'shrooms and such out of Perler beads too.